By Vickie Holland
On a Zoom call last weekend my friends were talking about what they miss most during the “Stay at Home” order. The #1 answer was going to a restaurant! Thankfully most of the restaurants in our area have pivoted to curbside pick-up but that doesn’t take the place of sitting down in a beautiful restaurant while someone brings you a plate of delicious grilled red snapper on a bed of quinoa topped with a tropical fruit salsa. Or an order of jerk chicken wings (flats only) well done.
Once the “Stay at Home” order has been lifted, is your restaurant ready for customers? The National Restaurant Association has published this handy comprehensive reopening guide to help you get ready. Take the time to read it carefully. In addition, Imperial Dade’s HyProtection Zone consultation is available. This complimentary service includes a site survey, product recommendations, and review of best practices addressing disinfection and hygiene.
Here are our 10 favorite reopening guidelines:
- Check in with all employees’ well-being. They may have lost a loved one or experienced anxiety, loneliness or depression during quarantine.
- Instruct sick employees to stay home. Prescreen employees on arrival for signs of COVID-19 by taking their temperature.
- Enforce strict hand hygiene. Prompt reminders with posters on best practices.
- Develop a strong SOP for cleaning and sanitizing surfaces. Check that your disinfectant is EPA registered and appropriate for use against SARS-CoV-2.
- Train employees on the new, more detailed disinfecting and sanitizing practices.
- Follow the 4 steps of Food Safety: Clean, Separate, Cook and Chill
- Consider rolling silverware and eliminate table presets.
- Provide hand sanitizer for customers and employees.
- Use single-service gloves, deli tissue or suitable utensils.
- Consider a reservation only business model to better space diners.
Employees should be aware of the steps you have made to protect them from COVID-19. Ask employees for feedback on these changes and listen to suggestions. Employees often have creative solutions.
For more information on restaurant reopening guidelines, disinfectants, or COVID-19 prevention in the workplace contact your local branch today and ask to speak to a chemical specialist. Visit www.imperialdade.com/locations to find a location near you.