It’s no secret that online reviews wield a lot of power in the digital age. In fact, they can make or break a business. However, the COVID-19 crisis has elevated the influence of online reviews to a whole new level.
“Just one negative review about poor cleaning or safety practices can make a bad impression and result in lost sales.”
Now that health and safety are among the top concerns for consumers everywhere, many individuals will research a business online before visiting the store, restaurant, or other type of facility. Just one negative review about poor cleaning or safety practices can make a bad impression and result in lost sales. While disgruntled customers are not a new phenomenon by any means, their impact is amplified on review sites like Yelp, Trip Advisor, and Google.
According to Inc. Magazine, it takes an average of 40 glowing reviews (i.e., 4 to 5-stars) to undo the damage caused by just one bad review. When you take into consideration that only one out of ten happy consumers is willing to write a positive review, damage control may seem overwhelming or just downright impossible.
“The easiest place to start is to showcase your COVID-19 safety procedures loud and proud.”
The best form of action is to eliminate the need for customers to leave a bad review at all. Although a business owner’s number one priority should always be to create a positive experience for their customers, this goal is more challenging than ever before due to the difficulties caused by the ongoing pandemic. Therefore, the easiest place to start is to showcase your COVID-19 safety procedures loud and proud.
- Make sure employees are always donning the proper PPE whether they’re interacting face-to-face with customers or working behind the scenes.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces between use with an EPA-approved disinfectant.
- Maintain social distancing wherever possible.
- Post COVID-19 information signs throughout the facility describing your efforts to maintain a clean and safe facility.
- Share your heightened cleaning practices on your website and social media channels.
- If applicable, offer virtual support for customers or curbside services.
Businesses everywhere have a responsibility to uphold COVID-19 guidelines, but they may find themselves on the wrong end of a review if these safety measures are not conveyed to consumers. The effect is even greater for small businesses that operate at a limited capacity.
Follow these best practices from Yelp, an authority on online reviews, to help your business succeed!
For more information about available COVID-19 resources, cleaning equipment and supplies, or to schedule a complimentary site survey contact Imperial Dade today. For a location near you, visit www.ImperialDade.com.